How to choose carpet for your home
Posted on September 6th 2013
Plush pile, loop pile, twist, patterned twist, nylon, wool, underlay. Ahhhhhhhh!
With so many options on the market when it comes to choosing carpet for your home, it can be tricky to navigate your way to the perfect solution.
We’ve complied all of the basic information you will need to arm yourself with when shopping for carpet.
WHY CARPET IN THE FIRST PLACE?
Carpet is an extremely versatile product aimed at keeping your home cooler in summer and warmer and winter. It also offers a soft, non-slip service underfoot and provides a quiet indoor environment.
NYLON VS WOOL
No one carpet fibre is inherently ‘better’ than any other. Each fibre comes in a variety of qualities and price ranges. The most important point is to choose a fibre, style and construction to suit your lifestyle and budget, that’s suitable for the room in which it will be placed.
BENEFITS OF NYLON
- As soft and luxurious as wool
- Stain resistant
- Designed to resist fading from sunlight, UV light and ozone to maintain vibrant colour for longer
- Available in an exciting range of colours, patterns, textures and styles.
- Great for high-traffic areas for families with children and/or pets.
BENEFITS OF WOOL
- Soft underfoot
- Holds colour for extensive lifespan
- Naturally fire retardant
- Renewable resource
- Strong and resilient to stains and wear
CHOOSING A STYLE
- If you like to see the vacuum cleaner marks in your carpet a plush pile is for you
- If you prefer a carpet with less “movement” a twist is a great solution
- A patterned loop is great for high traffic spaces and offers a no fuss solution
CHOOSING A COLOUR
- Light colours are great for smaller spaces but are more prone to stains
- Cool greens and blues will provide a calming effect
- Reds yellows and browns will warm up a room
If you’re still as bamboozled as ever then you need not worry, you Smart Homes interior design will guide you through the whole process from selection to installation.